One of the first computer programs I ever wrote was one which simply wrote "Hello World" on the screen and kept doing this until you aborted the program. The infinite loop is a trap that is easy to fall into unless you have carefully defined how many times you want the computer to repeat the instructions you have given it. Eat, sleep, take tablets, repeat. That is my pattern.
For my treatment, the loop program is now on its seventh iteration, which is good news. With 6 now completed and behind me, I am now 75% through my planned chemotherapy and the end is now in sight - just 6 weeks away. In only 3 weeks time, I will be starting my eighth and final set of tablets. The even better news is that they seem to be having the desired effect. When I last saw my oncologist, he let me know that the count of cancer cells in my blood tests has been really low (though he did say we're not there yet) and that I was doing so well that he didn't need to see me until I had gone through a further 2 cycles (I normally have an appointment every 3 weeks, so this time it is a 6 week gap).
Taking a breather
A teacher friend described to me how he was looking forward to half term - a potential time to catch up with me. "Coming up for air" was how he described the break from the stresses and challenges of his job. Much like a swimmer replenishes the oxygen in his lungs after a number of strokes under the surface of the water, I use my "rest" weeks to allow my body to have a break from the 10-tablets-a-day regime and to do some of the things I don't feel able to when my energy levels are lower.
One of those things was to visit my workplace for the first time since before this journey began. They were holding a coffee and cake morning to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Research, so it seemed like an appropriate time to make an appearance. I even baked a cake to take in with me! It was really good to be back in the office and chat with people that I hadn't seen for months. I ended up staying for lunch and only returned home some 4 hours later. That's longer in the office than some of our sales guys chalk up in a month! The support from work has been really good, and although not rushing me back they have made it really clear how much they value me and want me back. A visit from our CEO confirmed this to me and I also really appreciate the regular visits from managers who take me out for lunch when I am feeling up to it. Our conversations are only curtailed by the fact that they need to get back to the office!
Inspiration from the sports field
![]() |
| Sir Andy exceeds even his own expectations |
The Rugby World Cup has seen the England team perform really well to date. They have secured a place in the semi-finals, where I expect New Zealand to bring their run to an end. The All Blacks have looked phenomenal so far this tournament. Mind you, I have also been writing off Sir Andy Murray and his attempted comeback after a partial hip replacement. Last week he showed what a stubborn so-and-so he is by refusing to be beaten several times, and emerged as the winner of the European Open in Antwerp. Now this isn't a big tournament and he only really beat one person of note, but it is another sign that he is emerging from the wilderness of the last couple of years. There is light at the end of the tunnel and he has shown there is life in the old dog yet. His example is something to inspire me as I approach a point where I expect to come blinking out into the sunshine.
| Fabulous artwork by Jeremy Hogarth |
Psalm 23
I had a visit from our newly installed vicar last week and it was good to chat with him for a couple of hours and pray together. One of the things we talked about was the words of Psalm 23. It is a psalm that I mentioned in my very first blog. But what I have reflected on more recently is just one word within those verses. The word is "through". The psalmist describes how God is with him even as he is walking through the darkest valley. That implies not just walking in a place of darkness, but coming out the other side of it. That gives me tremendous hope. I know when I do finish my treatment there will be more to deal with - further scans, tests and anxious waits for results. At some point I will be going back to hospital to have my stoma reversed and get my bowel working "normally" again. Of course my job will be waiting for me too. But as I approach those challenges, I can look back and see the two sets of footprints - both mine and those of Jesus walking with me - and know that they have been there from the beginning and will stretch all the way to the end. What comfort!
Time to dive back under and repeat those steps as the light gets closer and brighter.
10 Eat
20 Sleep
30 Take tablets
Goto 10



Amazing blogs Si - I only just found out these existed! Your writing is amusing, honest, thought provoking and emotional. Keep up your positive outlook as you draw to the end of your treatment cycles. Sending love & hugs x
ReplyDelete