A New Year boost


The tree and the tinsel have been packed away for another 11 months and returned to their dark, dusty home in the loft. Our house has a slightly bare and empty feel to it now that the decorations have been taken down. Christmas has very definitely been and gone. January arrived like a slap in the face, bringing us back to the cold reality of everyday life. For me, this resumption of 'normality' is an odd one. I am on a phased return to work and am now venturing into the office twice a week, albeit for fewer hours than usual. My energy levels are certainly on the increase, although still nothing like 100% yet. It is my custom now to return home from work and crash out for an hour or so.

On Boxing Day I did manage a kickabout in the park with my son and I've now done a couple of stints on the exercise bike to strengthen my leg muscles. My core muscles still need significant attention. Whilst I've never been the owner of a six pack, the surgery has left me with a weakness and has had a negative impact on my posture. The resulting aches and pains in my shoulder, neck and back have lately disturbed my sleep and prompted a visit to the osteopath. Surprisingly, there will be no magic fix. Breaking bad habits with regard to posture and ensuring I do the recommended exercises will take some time. I'm certainly aware of how I sit at my desk back in the office now. Just another thing to deal with!

Reasons to be cheerful...
Aside from those aches and pains, we've managed to start the New Year on a positive note. We treated ourselves to a new car which was delivered to us on New Year's Eve. This will give us more room as a family when travelling as well as meaning that I don't need to risk my weakened immune system by taking public transport to work, which is what I was doing prior to my surgery last April. The model we have gone for has been given very good reviews wherever I have looked and I think we have chosen well. It is amazing what bells and whistles you now get in a car - certainly a lot more than when we bought our old car nearly 15 years ago! We are having a lot of fun with it.

If it is surprising how a lump of metal with 4 wheels can put a smile on your face then what does one make of a collection of words on a piece of paper? They have tremendous potential to affect our spirits. In this specific case, the words had been arranged by my consultant at Watford General Hospital to form a letter containing the results of my CT scan from early December. It wasn't a long letter but it summarised the fact that the scan showed no signs of anything nasty in my body. The months of chemotherapy appear to have done their job. Without a doubt there was an extra spring in my step after reading that letter.

The professor and the boy across the road
Two days prior to receiving that letter, I had been into St Mark's Hospital in Harrow for a clinic appointment with the Director of the Polyposis Registry. It made a lot of sense for Watford to refer me to St Mark's and for them to also pick up my future monitoring as they are the UK's Centre of Excellence for monitoring polyps and bowel conditions. I had rung to chase them as I hadn't heard when my appointment was going to be over a month after being referred. When they looked up my details, I was told it was unlikely that I would be seen much before April as I hadn't been flagged as "urgent". If that wasn't the case then I should speak to my consultant at Watford again and get him to state that actually it was urgent. But it was merely a few hours later when they called me back again with news of an appointment the following week which had been made available because of a cancellation. I snapped it up!

Professor Clarke is very highly regarded by her peers and lectures all around the world. When the specialist nurse came into the waiting room to call my name I was surprised to see that I recognised him. Although a few years younger than me, we attended the same high school and in fact he and his family lived in the house opposite ours. I took these facts about the two individuals as reassurance that I was in the right place and in very good hands indeed. They have arranged a colonoscopy for me in early February and I'll then meet up with them again to discuss what it showed up and where we go next.

Seeing clearly
If this isn't the Year of the Optician then I think it really should be! I'd been waiting through most of January for either the Specsavers marketing team to wake up to that fact and finally they did send me a leaflet in the post with the promise of 2020 vision! I can't believe it took them so long and that I haven't seen a TV advert or billboard on the same theme as yet. Whether you wear glasses or not, whatever you look at for the next 11 months will be 2020 - guaranteed!

Of course perfect vision doesn't let you see everything. I can't see into the future and I certainly didn't see the events of last year coming. The psalmist in the Bible talks about the God who "will neither slumber not sleep". He is always awake and sees everything. The curve ball I wrote about in my first blog entry did not catch Him by surprise. That is a thought that gives me comfort as I contemplate the next phase of my recovery. It is also something I was able to share as part of an all age service at our church on the theme of persevering in prayer. It has basically been ten months since I was last involved at the front of church, so this was another emotional stepping stone on my journey.

When it comes to God answering prayers, I am aware that it is easier for me to write positively and sing his praises when things are going well. I met a six-year old girl over Christmas who had apparently been praying for me and I was able to tell her that it was working - I am getting better. But I'm conscious that I should take nothing for granted - I am not out of the woods yet and will be monitored closely for the next few years as I am at high risk of recurrence. I'm also mindful of those for whom the answers to prayer are not what they wanted and those who struggle with how God can allow certain events to take place. There are no words, no explanations, no arguments that satisfy. I'm reminded though of the blind man that Jesus heals in John 9. He is grilled by the religious leaders who want an explanation of what happened. But the man is unable to give them what they want. He replies "I don't know. But one thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!"

So I'm praying that my 2020 vision will see me fully healed. I'm praying that it will be a year of restoration and renewed energy levels. And I'm praying that like last year, with all it's difficulties, the year ahead will see God pour out His blessings on us. It hasn't been a bad start.

Comments