Déjà vous all over again

It's been a while since I last posted on this blog and I have written a few drafts that went unpublished. At times I felt I was treading water, with not much happening. Then things would happen and a few updates would be required in quick succession.

Of course, now events on a global scale have overtaken me and we are in a state of lockdown. If my 40th birthday party felt a little flat, well at least it happened! I turned 41 yesterday but no party was planned. In fact I was self isolating from my family even - a prisoner within my own bedroom.

But things have escalated somewhat. Since having a colonoscopy a month or so ago, I've been feeling progressively more grotty. Abdominal pain similar to that which I experienced a year ago has become more regular. Sleeping at night has changed from being something that was interrupted to something that was nigh on impossible. A snatched hour or so when weariness finally outweighed the pain.

Today I'd had enough and ended up in A&E. (I had taken earlier steps like speaking to my GP etc). So I'm now writing this blog entry from a hospital bed very similar to the one I occupied a year ago.

I'm currently having a blood transfusion as it appears my bowel has been bleeding internally for some time. I've been given some antibiotics and some morphine for the pain. But most concerning were the results of the CT scan. Although I am waiting to speak to specialists - probably tomorrow now - it seems that the cancer has returned and has now invaded other organs such as my liver, kidneys and lungs. This was news beyond that which I feared.

Since the start of the new year, our church has been looking at the subject of prayer. My thoughts had continually turned to how we deal with prayers that God doesn't answer in the way we desire. Many people wrestle with this and few reach a satisfactory conclusion.

The Old Testament prophet, Habakkuk, was defiant in the face of a bleak outlook. "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Saviour." O, to be able to match that attitude!

I was recently given a verse from Psalm 27 which I am clinging on to: "I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." Now any sports fan will tell you how confidence is a commodity that is very easily lost and which can be very difficult to rebuild. I'm praying that my confidence in my God remains strong and that I will indeed see and experience His goodness.

In these unprecedented days, I'd really value your prayers. Not just for me but also for the family who are not allowed to visit me in hospital.

Stay safe everyone and may God make his face to shine upon us and give us grace.

Comments

  1. Simon, I have been praying for you and Laura and Evie and Ben since I got Caryls text last night. May our gracious God be with you and may His Holy Spirit flow though every fibre of your being. "God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble" Psalm 46:1
    Much love, we are all with you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon, very sorry to hear this news. Thank you very much for all the thoughts and inspirations. You and the family will be in my thoughts & prayers. John W

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2corinthians 4:8-9 we are hard pressed on every side but not crushed perplexed but not in despair persecuted but not abandoned struck down but not destroyed.” I don’t know why mountains do not move but we continue to pray until something happens. Our love to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simon, it must be extra hard not being able to be with the family while you are going through it. Our prayers are with you and with them. 2 Peter 9-10 was my reading today. "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy." Along with us all...in God's hands. Much love Pam and Michael xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simon, I have been lost for words since hearing the news yesterday. We thought it was the virus we needed to worry about on your behalf. So sorry that you are having to go through this on your own - but you are not alone! There's an army of people praying for you. Stay strong and keep the faith! Love to you, Laura, Benjamin & Evie from all Millers & Carvells.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Simon, I tried entering this yesterday but it didn't work! 4 years ago I was waiting to start chemo for Non Hogkins Lymphoma and I well remember the physical, emotional and spiritual pain of that time and of the months to follow. Being able to give thanks to God each day for something helped immensely even if sometimes all I could find to be grateful for was the fact I was still alive, so you're better at this that I was! So many of us are praying for you, and this promise in particular is one I'm holding on to for you: 1 Peter 5:10 - "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen" Love to you, Laura and all the family from Angela G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Simon, so sorry that you are in hospital again and that because of the virus, your family are not able to visit. We are praying for you and Laura and the children. May the Lord sustain you and comfort you with His love. Love to you all from us both xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment